Paul Gillin's blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Paul Gillin's Blog - Social Media and the Open Enterprise: My Facebook foul-up
Paul Gillin's Blog - Social Media and the Open Enterprise
Friday, January 18, 2008
  My Facebook foul-up
Take a look at the image below. Is this the type of photo you’d want to put beside a serious business inquiry? I wouldn't. But I did.

It was an embarrassing experience, and perhaps my mistake can serve as a lesson for anyone who’s considering using social networks to transact business.

Last week was the first time I've used Facebook to direct a professional inquiry to a group of my friends. I was looking for some active Facebook users to profile in a book I’m writing, so it seemed a natural place to find them. I used a third-party application called FunWall, which is made by Slide. It looked straightforward enough: type the question, post it and then e-mail a notification to a list of your friends.

So I posted my question and send an invitation to everyone on my friends list, some 225 people. A couple of hours later, my wife sent me an instant message questioning the appropriateness of the image on my FunWall. "What image?" I said. I quickly logged on to Facebook and found my question next to the item below. There were already a couple of e-mails from friends questioning my good taste. I scrambled to delete the original message, which wasn’t all that intuitive, and to post an apology. I received a couple of more snickering responses from my associates, but have no idea how many people saw the offensive photo and thought I was serious.

As far as I can tell, the error occurred when I clicked the button to post my question, I inadvertently clicked the option just below it, which sent a postcard to accompany the question. For some unfathomable reason, the default postcard was the image below. I didn't bother to check the post after I submitted it, and would probably not have even known of my error for hours unless my wife had pointed it out.

So shame on me for not double-checking my work. And shame on Slide for making it so easy for even an experienced user to make such a dumb mistake. If there are lessons, it’s that you should beware of the new breed of third-party apps that Facebook and other sites are accepting. And use that preview feature! You don’t want your best intentions undermined by a stupid user interface.

I’ll just go crawl back in my hole now…



Labels: ,

 
Comments:
Seems like viral marketing to me, Sir.

Seriously, I think people know you more than a few bloopers (besides, that ain't too gross, ok maybe a little)

Smile.

alain
 
Yeah, you got punked! Pretty funny. They probably have it set to the most popular picture?!? But kudos to you for trying to make facebook something useful. I hope you've learned your lesson.

-M
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
How social media and open computing are changing the business world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Framingham, Massachusetts, United States

Paul is a writer and media consultant specializing in information technology topics.

Subscribe:


Buy my book about how new media influencers are changing the rules of publishing.


Or sign up to receive a FREE PDF of my forthcoming book, Secrets of Social Media Marketing. Click the cover image below to register.

>


 Subscribe RSS

Subscribe by e-mail:



Paul Gillin Communications
I'm a writer, speaker and new media consultant. Learn more.




See my


Get my weekly social media newsletter!

Email
First Name
Last Name
Please fill all fields


View the newsletter archive.

View Paul Gillin's profile on LinkedIn


Readers of my blog get discounts for this upcoming event:

Use discount code PAULVIP to get $100 off. Hurry! Prices go up Sept. 19

2RSS.com :: RSS directory
Blog Directory & Search engine Blog Directory


    follow me on Twitter

    Profile for PnD
    Add to Technorati Favorites
    Stats by: