Paul Gillin's blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Paul Gillin's Blog - Social Media and the Open Enterprise: Chou's SaaScon keynote stresses new economics
Paul Gillin's Blog - Social Media and the Open Enterprise
Monday, September 25, 2006
  Chou's SaaScon keynote stresses new economics
Tim Chou delivered an impassioned case for SaaS, tearing down the objections he’s heard from IT people in his years as head of Oracle’s on-demand unit. The economics of corporate IT are fundamentally poor, he said. “At most IT shops I’ve visited, well over 75% of the budget is spent managing existing systems,” he related.

SaaS reshapes the basic economics of IT, making them much more efficient. “Every innovation in IT that has changed the economics has been successful,” he said. A big reason is that SaaS companies can build their infrastructure on standardized components, greatly simplifying the delivery systems. Most corporate computing environments are far too complex. “If I took a paint brush and colored every computer running SAP a different color representing its software stack, its hardware and storage configurations, and what processes it’s running, I would venture to guess I would run out of colors,” he suggested.

“Google has 400,000 computers and my guess is we’d paint them all the same color. That standardization enables specialization and repetition. If all my computers are different, I have no ability so specialize or repeat.” He estimated the fully-loaded cost of supporting a typical corporate user is $1,000 per month. SaaS puts users in control of their server environments. “The user has become disempowered,” he said. “No one wants to upgrade software. The vendor pushes that. With SaaS, we have the opportunity to shift the playing field from vendor-centric to user-centric.”
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
How social media and open computing are changing the business world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Framingham, Massachusetts, United States

Paul is a writer and media consultant specializing in information technology topics.

Subscribe:


Buy my book about how new media influencers are changing the rules of publishing.


Or sign up to receive a FREE PDF of my forthcoming book, Secrets of Social Media Marketing. Click the cover image below to register.

>


 Subscribe RSS

Subscribe by e-mail:



Paul Gillin Communications
I'm a writer, speaker and new media consultant. Learn more.




See my


Get my weekly social media newsletter!

Email
First Name
Last Name
Please fill all fields


View the newsletter archive.

View Paul Gillin's profile on LinkedIn


Readers of my blog get discounts for this upcoming event:

Use discount code PAULVIP to get $100 off. Hurry! Prices go up Sept. 19

2RSS.com :: RSS directory
Blog Directory & Search engine Blog Directory


    follow me on Twitter

    Profile for PnD
    Add to Technorati Favorites
    Stats by: