Paul Gillin's blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Paul Gillin's Blog - Social Media and the Open Enterprise: First amendment protection for bloggers
Paul Gillin's Blog - Social Media and the Open Enterprise
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
  First amendment protection for bloggers
A California appeals court ruled last Friday that Apple can't force website operators to divulge sources that gave them details of an unannounced product. The decision overturns an earlier ruling that gave Apple the power to force the disclosure.

One interesting aspect of the ruling is that the court specifically deals with blogging, declaring that constitutional free-press protections do apply to bloggers. See the footnotes on page 44 for a discussion of the definition of blogging and the similarity of blogs to other forms of publishing. I'm not familiar with a precedent to this case that deals with first amendment issues around blogging, but maybe somebody could set me straight.

I was also surprised to note extensive references to Wikipedia in the court's footnotes. Given that there is ongoing debate over the reliability of information on Wikipedia, I thought it was interesting that a state appellate court considers the source reliable enough to cite extensively in a legal decision.

Thanks to Alice LaPlante for pointing out this story on the Informationweek Blog.
 
Comments:
Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»
 
I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
How social media and open computing are changing the business world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Framingham, Massachusetts, United States

Paul is a writer and media consultant specializing in information technology topics.

Subscribe:


Buy my book about how new media influencers are changing the rules of publishing.


Or sign up to receive a FREE PDF of my forthcoming book, Secrets of Social Media Marketing. Click the cover image below to register.

>


 Subscribe RSS

Subscribe by e-mail:



Paul Gillin Communications
I'm a writer, speaker and new media consultant. Learn more.




See my


Get my weekly social media newsletter!

Email
First Name
Last Name
Please fill all fields


View the newsletter archive.

View Paul Gillin's profile on LinkedIn


Readers of my blog get discounts for this upcoming event:

Use discount code PAULVIP to get $100 off. Hurry! Prices go up Sept. 19

2RSS.com :: RSS directory
Blog Directory & Search engine Blog Directory


    follow me on Twitter

    Profile for PnD
    Add to Technorati Favorites
    Stats by: