Paul Gillin's blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Paul Gillin's Blog - Social Media and the Open Enterprise: Phish story
Paul Gillin's Blog - Social Media and the Open Enterprise
Wednesday, December 07, 2005
  Phish story


Network World has a story today about a phishing exploit that was so realistic that even Ebay's anti-spoofing team believed it was authentic. The blogger who first reported the incident says that he reported the suspicous e-mail to Ebay but was brushed off, even though there were several characteristics of the message that just didn't make sense. That's a pretty depressing commentary on the state of phishing, considering that Ebay is probably the most exploited domain the phishing world. I'm sure just about everyone has seen a convincing come-hither message purportedly from Ebay that really referenced a server in Eastern Europe somewhere.

I think 2006 will be the year that phishing takes center stage in the media coverage of computer security. It was all about spyware this year, but spyware is a slippery and often hard-to-define concept. Phishing, at least, you can understand. Unfortunately, phishing is also one of the most effective identity theft tactics there is. I was personally taken in by a phishing attack several years ago before I realized my mistake and had to scramble to change my Ebay password. And I'm presumably a lot more savvy about this stuff than the average user.

If phishers are good enough to fool even the trained investigators at Ebay, I think we're in for a long year of creative and effective attacks.
 
Comments:
Hi Paul - eBay phishing, taken to the next level - check out this article by the Mercury News.
 
Further evidence that the bad guys manage to stay one step ahead of the law...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
How social media and open computing are changing the business world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Framingham, Massachusetts, United States

Paul is a writer and media consultant specializing in information technology topics.

Subscribe:


Buy my book about how new media influencers are changing the rules of publishing.


Or sign up to receive a FREE PDF of my forthcoming book, Secrets of Social Media Marketing. Click the cover image below to register.

>


 Subscribe RSS

Subscribe by e-mail:



Paul Gillin Communications
I'm a writer, speaker and new media consultant. Learn more.




See my


Get my weekly social media newsletter!

Email
First Name
Last Name
Please fill all fields


View the newsletter archive.

View Paul Gillin's profile on LinkedIn


Readers of my blog get discounts for this upcoming event:

Use discount code PAULVIP to get $100 off. Hurry! Prices go up Sept. 19

2RSS.com :: RSS directory
Blog Directory & Search engine Blog Directory


    follow me on Twitter

    Profile for PnD
    Add to Technorati Favorites
    Stats by: