Paul Gillin's blog

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Paul Gillin's Blog - Social Media and the Open Enterprise: Facebook deserves marketers' attention
Paul Gillin's Blog - Social Media and the Open Enterprise
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
  Facebook deserves marketers' attention

We’re still in the first inning of the social media game, yet the urge to pick winners is strong. Anyone who’s trying to make sense of all the activity right now is being whipsawed. A year ago, MySpace was all the rage, then YouTube took center stage last fall. Early this year, everyone was atwitter about Twitter and now Facebook is growing like kudzu to the applause of investors and the press.

While there will no doubt be other market darlings, I think Facebook is the first of these nascent communities to deserve serious attention from b-to-b marketers. If you haven't been paying much attention, you might still think of Facebook as the social network for college students. In fact, as recently as last fall, a personal still needed a “.edu” e-mail address to join.

All that changed last late year when Facebook made two critical decisions: it opened membership to anybody who wanted to join and it permitted third-party software developers to build applications specific to the Facebook platform.

The results have been astonishing. Membership has doubled since the first of the year, eclipsing 30 million in early July. What's more interesting to marketers is that the demographics of this member base are intriguing. As Rodney Rumford points out in this analysis, members over 25 years of age now account for half of Facebook traffic. That's remarkable when you consider that most of those members couldn't even get to the site 10 months ago.

An even more telling statistic is audience engagement. According to Comscore, 93% of Facebook members log on at least once a month and 60% use the site daily. Those are impressive figures for even a small community site; for one with 30 million members, they’re mind-blowing.

If you register on both MySpace and Facebook, the differences will whack you in the face. MySpace's heritage as a music site makes it feel at times like a giant virtual nosh pit. Member pages are festooned with graphics and music plays helter-skelter. In the year I've been a MySpace member, I don't think I've received a single message from someone I knew.

In contrast, when I registered for Facebook, I was flooded by invitations to become friends (social network lingo for establishing a connection) with dozens of current and past colleagues. Facebook allows you to monitor some of the activities of your friends, and it's an impressive display to watch. People I know are busily exchanging software applications to recommend books, movies, travel destination and professional web sites. The Society for New Communications Research, of which I am a member, chose Facebook as the community of choice for its professional members. And I continue to get “friends” request from actual friends almost daily.

If it keeps up this momentum, Facebook has the chance to succeed where earlier professional networks like LinkedIn didn't. While LinkedIn has some valuable professional networking features, it has the feeling of a software application more than a community. Facebook's approach to the market is proving to be more effective: it started as a community site and then added networking features. Its roots as a gathering place for college students has helped it to continue to attract the kind of members that marketers want to reach. If it continues to grow at its current rate for another year, it will reach the status among adult professionals that MySpace enjoys among teenagers: you simply have to be there.

This is not to say that Facebook is perfect. Its closed e-mail application doesn't sit well with people like me, who live in their inboxes. Some of its distinctive metaphors -- like writing graffiti on someone's wall -- can be confusing to new members. The process of creating a new group can also be somewhat cumbersome and confusing. And while its applications are impressive, Google still delivers better quality and features overall.

Nevertheless, business marketers should become familiar with Facebook. It has a chance to become the gold standard for professional networks. Even if it fumbles the opportunity, the dynamics of what's going on there are important to understand.

Update: Maggie Fox just passed along this press release from Comscore, showing Facebook traffic up 270% year-over-year, compared to MySpace's 72%. Of course, MySpace started from a much higher base and is still the leader overall by a wide margin, but Facebook is closing the gap.

Labels: , ,

 
Comments:
About a month after I joined Facebook - and found it great for both social and professional purposes - I got an invitation to Linkedin. I'd had them before, but I was now intrigued by my FB experience, so I joined and used the site to tell me who from my address book was also "Linkedin". I added them as connections, asking them to tell me whether they thought, as existing users, it was worth it. Everyone, out of about 40 users, said they'd joined but then found it passable at best. Most hadn't visited the site in the last year and couldn't see the purpose of it. They understood the idea - but in practical terms, it sucked.

Facebook scores because it fits my own personal maxim: "never do anything for only one reason". I'm not checking Facebook for professional connections, but my social network takes me back every day. Then when I need to find a contact for a feature (I'm a journalist) I can search groups, professions and companies and come up with people to get in touch with. and other people see more about me and my approach by understanding me socially.

My tiny poll also suggests that Linkedin (and the frankly scarily bad eCademy) fail because being on there just looks "pushy" and smacks of personal salesmanship. That's not as true on FB. Maybe the reticence to seem "proactive" is peculiarly British. But on FB, all my "friends" are Brits and they have no problem with "projecting"...
 
Oh, by the way: I found this blog entry via a link posted my a business "friend" on Facebook...
 
Great comment, Richard. You really crystallize the appeal of Facebook.
 
I would generalize this a bit more and then I concur completely. Facebook deserves every business person's attention, not just marketers. There is a simple reality. We are people first and the rest of it second and we like personally and informally interacting ("being ourselves") better than following some formal protocol for the sake of business. I interact much more quickly through Facebook with CRM CEOs than I do through either LinkedIn or email. In fact I did a blog entry on this exact subject
a week and a half ago. TechCrunch also noticed the same thing. That Facebook is increasingly used by business people even though LinkedIn is growing.

I used to put it a little differently. If you don't know that Mickey Mantle won the Triple Crown in 1956, you should.

Facebook is fun, informal, and at the same time flexible. They will become even more of a superpower if they ever white label their platform. In the meantime, they've captured the most important thing of all - we're people who want to enjoy our lives - and do some business along the way too. That spirit is what Facebook can, to a large extent, reproduce, where LinkedIn can't.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
How social media and open computing are changing the business world.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Framingham, Massachusetts, United States

Paul is a writer and media consultant specializing in information technology topics.

Subscribe:


Buy my book about how new media influencers are changing the rules of publishing.


Or sign up to receive a FREE PDF of my forthcoming book, Secrets of Social Media Marketing. Click the cover image below to register.

>


 Subscribe RSS

Subscribe by e-mail:



Paul Gillin Communications
I'm a writer, speaker and new media consultant. Learn more.




See my


Get my weekly social media newsletter!

Email
First Name
Last Name
Please fill all fields


View the newsletter archive.

View Paul Gillin's profile on LinkedIn


Readers of my blog get discounts for this upcoming event:

Use discount code PAULVIP to get $100 off. Hurry! Prices go up Sept. 19

2RSS.com :: RSS directory
Blog Directory & Search engine Blog Directory


    follow me on Twitter

    Profile for PnD
    Add to Technorati Favorites
    Stats by: